Benefits of massaging your baby:
- Massage has many benefits for your baby and can help him/her to develop mentally, physically, and socially.
- Massaging your baby can improve baby’s sleep and boost growth.
- Massage stimulates a key nerve, called the vagus nerve, which connects the brain with important parts of the body, including the stomach. Stimulating this nerve will improve digestion and bowel movement, helping your baby to gain healthy weight. Small amounts of the fats in the oil is also absorbed via your baby’s skin.
- With each gentle stroke, your baby will feel nurtured and loved, strengthening the bond between the two of you.
- Massages also generate heat and encourage good blood circulation to all parts of the body.
- Touch and skin-to-skin contact with your baby will help to stimulate your baby’s brain development.
How and when to massage your baby?
According to the bump:
- The best time to start infant massage is within the first three months, as babies begin to develop important physical and intellectual abilities, including motor skills.
- Use maximum of one handful of oil to massage the baby.
- Massage the baby a maximum of twice a week only.
- The infant massage techniques has to be very light and extremely gentle. The goal is to get baby comfortable and familiar with your touch.
- Massage the little one from head to toe.
- Give the baby a complete and thorough bath immediately after the massage.
Be aware of the Don’ts:
- Do not put any oil in your baby’s eyes, nose, or ears as this could lead to infections.
- A baby massage should not last longer than 15 minutes.
- Be careful when you pick your baby up after massage as their skin could be slippery!!
Why VVS Classic Chekku Oil is the best oil to massage your baby?
Sesame oil helps in improving hair and skin, boost bone growth, reduce blood pressure and protects infant health! And these are just a few things that this magic oil can do. It protects tender baby skin against rash. Sesame is one of the best oils as it has a wonderful texture, is rich in Vitamins A, B and E and minerals. Down South in India, the oil is popularly known as ‘Nalla Ennai’ which means ‘Good oil’ because of its N number of great properties.
Pure cold pressed sesame oil is both nourishing and easily absorbed by your baby’s skin. Mineral oil on the other hand, leaves a greasy film over the skin’s surface. As cold pressed oils are absorbed so well, it is important that they are organic and free from pesticides – you do not want these baddies being absorbed into your baby’s body systems. Thus, we recommend you use VVS Classic Chekku Oil to massage your little one.
Hazards of using non-organic oils:
Non-organic oils may also have been bleached or refined, stripping out the beneficial properties and they may have had chemicals added. Paraffin or petroleum-based oils, lotions and creams are not recommended for baby massage.
Everything that your baby absorbs through their skin must be processed by their little livers, so keep it natural and organic. Babies tend to put their hands and feet into their mouths. Thus, whichever oil you use for massage you need to be happy for your baby to ingest. You would not put a paraffin-based oil, cream, or lotion in your own mouth, so they are not for your baby either.